Saturday, May 28, 2011

Time for some new stuff...

Last Thursday night I attended a seminar about social styles that was rather interesting. The idea was to have these 4 general classifications of social styles:

  • Promoting - These are the people that have a tendency to direct and show a range of emotions. These are the people after fun in the world, save effort in doing things, enjoy being the center of attention and can be easily distracted.
  • Controlling - These are the people that have a tendency to direct but have a narrow emotional range that they show. These are the people where respect and results are highly praised and considered important. While they may not be as animated as the promoter, if there is something wrong there may still be that confrontation along with a parental tone in contrast to a temper tantrum. If you want to discuss something with someone of this style, book an appointment and you'll be fine.
  • Analyzing - These would be the ones that rarely direct and rarely show an emotional range. These are the thinkers and observers of the world. Security and facts are the big motivators here. Workaholics can fall here as they just have their work that is what they do all the time. These people are great listeners but not the best using body language to communicate.
  • Supporting - These would be those who rarely direct and do show an emotional range. This style is motivated by acceptance and intimacy within relationships. These are likely great listeners as long as you are ok in seeing how whatever is said impacts the other person.

My primary style is Supporting. My emotions tend to be shown in a variety of forms so I see myself scoring high on that line while I don't really have a tendency to direct though that may change if I get more confidence in myself. I see myself now as someone I don't trust and thus I hold back that way. My secondary style is Analyzing which is where I used to be back when my heart was more closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment